Sunday 10 June 2012

Open mouth, Insert foot

I learnt a very long time ago that if you strive towards a very big goal (I'm fairly certain that running the marathon counts as a 'very big goal') it's best to break that down into lots of little bite sized goals, each one taking you that bit closer to THE BIG ONE than the last.

For that reason I haven't thrown myself into marathon training straight away, no matter how tempting that has been. First off I appointed a trainer, which may just have been my first mistake. The speed at which my husband accepted the role, coupled with his accompanying evil grin, suggests that he may just use this as an opportunity to get his own back on me for years of being on the receiving end of my PMS!

But that aside, I know I can trust him to keep me on the right track. Which so far has entailed losing a bit of weight. I had a knee injury as a teenager which still, very occasionally, plays up in cold, damp weather so it stands to reason that the less weight my poor, old knees have to carry around the better. Although he might have been a little more tactful, 'lets get some of that fat off you' is not what a wife wants to hear. Especially not when she's half way through baking a scrummy chocolate cake. I could almost hear those calories laughing at me as I opened the oven door :(

So far I've lost almost half a stone. I was doing rather well I thought.  And I said as much.

Silly me!

Nothing wipes a smug smile off my face faster than a big bully of a husband trainer adding sit-ups to my morning routine! I think I'll keep my observations to myself in future ;)

4 comments:

  1. I laughed my head off reading this! You are so funny! How much is a stone in pounds-not that it matters, remember muscle weights more than fat so even if you don't think your losing you are!
    I hope you don't mind I told everyone about you and what your doing for Tommy's. I just wish I could give you more than my support. Your the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I made you laugh Natalie :)
      A stone is 14lbs, I forget that not everyone knows what a stone is!
      Your support is great Natalie, and I really do appreciate it xxx

      Delete
  2. He's just doing it for your best interest. ^^

    You're pretty brave for making your husband your trainer. The BF and I never train together, even though we have got pretty similar schedules and levels - or had, until I messed up my knee three weeks ago. Now I am trying to catch up with him again and get in shape for the 5K "Women's Run" in Cologne in August without setbacks. Sigh.

    Good luck with that marathon of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diandra.
      Yes I think I must be very brave (or stupid) for making my husband my trainer, but I know he has my best interests at heart and I'm hoping that drawing on his H.M Forces training will stand me in good stead.
      Fingers crossed for your knee holding out. Take it steady and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

      Delete